BBVA USA Easy Checking Account
No matter what financial issues you’ve had in the past, the BBVA Easy Checking Account can help you get back on track, while providing you with plenty of perks and resources to bank at your convenience!
securely on the bank's website
BBVA Easy Checking is a second-chance checking account you can open despite any financial hardship you've been through. This checking account helps you rebuild your credit, and get back on track.
Easy Checking offers as great perks as any other BBVA USA's checking account, the only difference being the $13.95 monthly fee, which cannot be waived. ATM-wise, you will only have free access to BBVA USA ATMs, but not at Allpoint® or 7-Eleven® ATMs. This, however, should not be an issue as there are around 64,000 BBVA USA ATMs across the States.
In addition to free online and mobile banking, with BBVA USA's award-winning Mobile App, free unlimited check writing, and free online statements, you will also receive a complimentary BBVA Visa Debit card you can use to make purchases, and earn cashback rewards. For an extra $10, you can personalize your debit card by adding a photo of your choice.
A few other optional, paid services are included in the offer. If you're interested, you can enroll in the BBVA ClearBenefits Program, which comes with identity theft protection, cell phone protection, Lost Wallet, Roadside Assistance, and cash payment in case of death or injury.
You can also receive a BBVA Optimizer Credit Card, designed specially for those looking to build or improve their credit history. The credit card works just like any other credit card, is accepted anywhere Visa is accepted, and is secured by an interest-bearing collateral savings account. The interest-bearing savings account lets you earn interest on your savings while building your credit. With Visa Zero Liability, you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, and the option to increase your credit line by depositing funds in your savings account, the BBVA Optimizer Credit Card gives you freedom and flexibility you need.
Checking account details
- Free Visa® Debit Card with Simple Cash BackSM rewards (option to personalize your card by adding a photo of your choice for $10).
- Free Online Banking and Mobile Banking, with Mobile Deposit® and Bill Pay.
- Award-Winning Mobile Banking App.
- Free online statements.
- Free unlimited check writing.
- No ATM fees nationwide at BBVA USA ATMs.
- BBVA Optimizer Credit Card®.
- For $4/month, you can enroll in BBVA ClearBenefits Program, and get benefits, such as identity theft restoration and insurance, cell phone protection, and other protection services.
Checking account fees
Minimum Deposit to Open$25
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$3
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$3
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$32
Foreign Transaction Fee3% (non-ATM) / 1% (ATM)
BBVA USA Easy Checking Account FAQ
You will need:
- A valid government issued ID (a driver’s license, state issued ID with photo or a passport),
- Social Security Number (for primary and joint account holder, if applicable),
- $25 Minimum deposit (this deposit can be made from a debit or credit card, another bank, or an existing BBVA account).
No, unfortunately, that is not possible with the Second-Chance Checking account.
Actually, BBVA USA recommends applying for their Free Checking first. If you don't get approved for that checking account, they will consider you for the Second-Chance Checking account.
Your credit score is calculated based on how you managed your debt in the past. There are 5 factors that are taken into account:
- Your payment history (35%),
- Amounts owed (30%),
- Length of credit history (15%),
- Credit mix (10%),
- New credit (10%).
Since your payment history has the greatest impact on your credit score, it's important to ensure it's a good one. Your payment history reflects how you've managed your payments in the past. It includes payments, such as credit cards, loans, bankruptcies, foreclosures, collections, liens, etc. - any kind of debt. Therefore, if you haven't been able to, for various reasons, pay off your debt consistently and on time, it will have a negative impact on your credit score.
A few tips to help you improve your credit:
- Pay your bills, and utilities on time and in full.
- Keep low balances on credit cards (below 35%), and pay off your credit card debt regularly.
- Only apply for new credit if needed, but don't close unused credit cards, as it might increase your credit utilization ratio.
- Dispute credit score errors, if you notice inaccuracies.
Its annual fee is $40.
The BBVA Optimizer Credit Card is only available in Alabama, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, California, and New Mexico.
At the moment, the APR is set to 22.24%, which is quite a competitive rate when compared with other credit card issuers' offers.
You'll earn cashback through BBVA's Simple Cash BackSM rewards program, each time you use your BBVA USA debit or credit card to make purchases. The service is free of charge, and available through Online and Mobile Banking. You don't even need to enroll to use it, but only select offers from the Rewards Center in the Mobile Banking app or in your account detail page of Online Banking. You can browse from a variety of offers, which are tailored to your preferences and shopping habits. Once you've made a qualifying purchase, rewards will be automatically deposited in your account, but make sure to read the offers' details, as some conditions may apply.
Setting up alerts can help you better keep an eye on your budget, so you can monitor your account activity, and ensure your account is in good standing.
You can receive notifications about:
1. Real-time banking: account balance, withdrawal confirmation, deposit confirmation, CD redemption;
2. Account management alerts: account summary, cleared checks, CD maturity date, sensitive activity, overdraft protection notice, insufficient funds;
3. Credit card alerts: near credit limit, credit limit reached, payment reminder, account balance, daily account balance;
4. Daily alerts: withdrawals, deposits, CD deposits.