BMO Harris Bank Smart Money™ Checking Account
For a low monthly fee, you'll enjoy:
- great digital banking features and services,
- free access to over 40,000 ATMs,
- flexible money management tools and options,
- no overdraft or NSF fees + more!
securely on the bank's website
The BMO Harris Smart Money Checking Account is unlike most regular checking account, because it's packed with perks that will definitely make banking a lot easier for you!
Using their tech expertise, BMO Harris Bank has developed a range of tools, features, and services that offer you the flexibility to manage your account and money the way you want: whether it be through online or mobile banking, by phone or in person, you can always find the most convenient solution to your banking needs.
For a low monthly fee, you'll enjoy many free perks, including e-statements and check images, free access to over 40,000 ATMs across the United States, and many features only BMO Harris customers get to enjoy. Such is Mobile Cash, a pretty cool way to withdraw cash without having to swipe your card at an ATM.
Additionally, you can always get personalized help from BMO Harris Bankers, and they'll guide you through, and help you find answers to any questions or issues you may have. That said, they have quite a lot of online materials available for you to explore, and learn all things banking, security and identity protection, debit card management, and more.
There are only two "major" flaws to the BMO Harris Smart Money Checking Account:
- The monthly fee cannot be waived for most of the people.
- There are foreign transaction fees, as well as out-of-network ATM fees (the latter not being as important, since BMO Harris Bank's ATM network is quite large).
So, if you want to save those $5 per month ($60/year), you could definitely find a similar checking account offer with no monthly fees! For example, the BMO Harris Bank Smart Advantage Checking Account is free, although it does come with overdraft and NSF fees.
Checking account details
- BMO Harris Bank Debit Mastercard®, with Debit Card Controls, and Card Alerts.
- Free BMO Digital Banking.
- Free BMO Digital Banking app, with BMO Harris Mobile Cash®, and Zelle®.
- Free electronic monthly statements.
- Free check images, if you go paperless.
- Free withdrawals and deposits at BMO Harris ATMs or branches.
- Free access to over 40,000 BMO Harris and Allpoint® ATMs nationwide.
- Free transactions at retailers made using your BMO Harris Bank Debit Mastercard®.
- Free incoming wire transfers.
- BMO Harris Total Look®.
- BMO Harris Bank by Phone®.
- BMO Harris Bill Pay®.
- Overdraft Services available.
- Mortgage and home equity line of credit discounts.
- Personalized assistance through chat, callback, and at over 600 branches.
Checking account fees
Minimum Deposit to Open$25
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$3
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$3
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$0
Foreign Transaction Fee2.8%
BMO Harris Bank Smart Money™ Checking Account FAQ
You can apply for the BMO Harris Smart Money Checking account online, when you click the "APPLY NOW" button available on this page. You'll be directed to the official BMO Harris Bank website, where you'll see an application form you need to complete with your personal information, including:
- Your name, phone, address, email,
- Your date of birth and Social Security Number,
- Your employment status.
Then, you'll be asked to select a BMO Harris Bank debit card, and order complimentary checks (both of these are optional). Before agreeing to the fine print, you'll need to choose between an individual or joint checking account. Once you've verified everything, you'll need to provide a bank account number or see how else you can fund your new BMO Harris Smart Money Checking account.
BMO Harris will only waive the monthly fee on its Smart Money Checking Account if you're less than 25 years old.
BMO Harris Bank's mobile app features, Debit Card Controls, and Debit Card Alerts help you stay on top of your debit card usage by setting up a number of options that would allow you to monitor your debit card.
Debit Card Controls enable you to decide how, when, and where your BMO Harris debit card is used. Currently, you can manage locations, merchant types, transaction types, and spend limits.
As for Card Alerts, once set up, you'll receive notifications through the BMO Harris Bank mobile app informing you when your BMO Harris debit card is used. You can select whether you want to receive notifications each time you make a payment or based on transaction types, merchant types, international transactions, and threshold amount.
In the unlucky event your BMO Harris Bank Mastercard® debit card is lost or stolen, you need to contact the customer service at 1-888-340-2265 immediately.
BMO Harris Bank's Mobile Cash is a free and safe service allowing you to withdraw cash from a number of BMO Harris ATM terminals using your Android or iPhone mobile device. To do this, you need to have an ATM or debit card linked to your Smart Money Checking Account, which is done automatically once you've enrolled in Mobile Banking.
This feature is available at most BMO Harris ATMs, but some off-site locations, such as Speedway or Walgreens, don't offer it.
BMO Harris Bank gives its customers the option to access and manage their accounts by phone. Dialing 1-888-340-2265 will enable you to:
- Check your account balance,
- Hear recent and pending transactions,
- Transfer funds between eligible accounts,
- Make payments to a loan, line of credit or mortgage,
- Request account changes,
- Open a new deposit account,
- Apply for a personal or business loan,
- Speak to a Contact Center Banker (by pressing 0).
As you can see, it's quite a convenient and quick way to do some basic banking tasks!
BMO Harris Total Look is BMO Harris Bank's service allowing you to manage your BMO Harris accounts, as well as any other bank account(s) you have online, such as your checking accounts, savings accounts, online investments, credit cards, mortgages, loans or something else - regardless of whether you keep them with BMO Harris Bank or some other bank or financial institution.
You can use this free, but safe tool to view your account balances and history, personalize a budget, set financial goals, and track progress - all put together in one place!
The service is available when you log in to BMO Digital Banking, and select "Total Look", and then "Get Started".
BMO Harris Bank offers you several ways to send and receive money, depending on your needs and preferences. You can:
- Use Zelle to send, request, and receive money from friends and family, with no charge from BMO Harris.
- Transfer funds between your BMO Harris accounts with Internal Transfers.
- Transfers funds between your BMO Harris accounts, and external accounts with External Transfers.
- Use Mobile Deposit to make check deposits with your smartphone.
You can use External Transfers to transfer funds between your BMO Harris accounts, and your external accounts if you have:
- a BMO Harris personal or money market account, or an eligible BMO Harris mortgage, line of credit or other personal loan account,
- an external deposit account at another U.S. financial institution.
BMO Harris Bank offers you the option to choose additional overdraft protection services, such as:
- Overdraft Funding: In case you have a linked BMO Harris savings account, money market account or other checking account, money will be transferred automatically from that account to your BMO Harris Smart Money Checking Account.
- Overdraft Protection Line of Credit: In case you go overdraft, BMO Harris will automatically access your line of credit, up to your available credit limit.
If you're interested in either of these two overdraft protection services, you need to speak with a BMO Harris Banker to enroll. For the Overdraft Protection Line of Credit, you need to apply, and be approved.
The fees associated to these services do not apply to the BMO Harris Smart Money Checking Account.