Comerica's Access Checking Account is for those looking for a checking account offer that comes with basic features, such as online banking, debit or ATM card, and online bill pay. With several ways to have the $13 monthly fee waived, this checking account is a decent way to manage your money. That said, there might be hidden fees behind some of the perks offered, so make sure you're familiar with the fine print. For example, Comerica Web Banking is free, but some fees may be applied when using the Comerica External Transfer service. Web Bill Pay also comes with a fee if you don't make a direct deposit, although you can use it for free for the first 12 months whatsoever.
Checking account details
- Monthly fee can be reduced by $2 with eStatements, and suppression of paper statements.
- Monthly fee can be waived if you keep a $1,000.00 minimum ledger balance each day in this account OR make a direct deposit of $250 or more per statement cycle to this account OR if you're a full-time student up to the age of 26 OR a business owner with a Comerica business checking account OR an active or ex U.S. military service member OR a member of a Comerica Platinum Circle Checking household and designated by the Account owner as the one Access Checking Account free of monthly maintenance fees.
- No monthly fee for Comerica Web Banking.
- Free Comerica Web Bill Pay (terms apply).
- Comerica Debit Card or ATM Card.
- 24 months of eStatements available through Comerica Web Banking®.
- Non-stop access to Comerica ATMs.
- Statement Savings Account available for $0/month.
- Check Safekeeping.
- A rate discount on a Comerica Home Equity Flexline® when using autopay.
- FDIC-insured account.
Checking account fees
Monthly Fee$13 (can be waived / reduced)
Minimum Deposit to Open$50
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$5.00
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$2.50
Overdraft Fee$26 - $38
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$26 - $38
Foreign Transaction Fee3%
Comerica Bank Access Checking Account FAQ
At the time of application for the Comerica Bank Access Checking, you'll need to provide:
- Your driver's License, state ID or passport that shows you are a U.S. resident aged 18+,
- Your Social Security Number,
- Your mobile phone number and email address,
- Your current bank account and routing number if you want to fund your new account immediately.
In-person application for Access Checking is required if:
- You have a military ID,
- You have a foreign ID,
- You are a U.S. territory resident,
- You are less than 18 years old,
- You have a Tax Identification Number or are a business.
A ledger balance refers to posted transactions, such as deposits, credits, withdrawals, and other debits, that you have in your account.
If you apply for the Access Checking account online, you don't need to make the initial deposit.
The overdraft fees and NSF fees are set by Comerica based on the number of times you overdraw your account or are unable to cover an amount written on a check. The more frequently it happens, the more you'll pay. This is, relatively speaking, a good thing, as it should serve to keep you more vigilant, and responsible with your money.
Whether it be overdraft fees or NSF fees, Comerica Bank will charge you $26 the first time, $34 the second, third, and fourth time, and $38 for the fifth or any following occurrence.
You need to access your account through Comerica Web Banking®, so that you could submit a request to have your paper statements turned off. This way, as long as you keep your account enrolled in paper statement suppression, you'll have your monthly fee waived by $2.
If you make a direct deposit, you won't be charged any fees to use Comerica Web Bill Pay. If you don't make a direct deposit, you'll be able to use Comerica Web Bill Pay for the first 12 months, after which you'll be charged a $6.95 monthly fee.
Comerica Web Banking® allows you to access and manage your account anywhere, at any time. With Comerica Web Banking®, you'll be able to, among others:
- view recent transactions, transfers, bill pay, and other activities,
- view, download, and print electronic monthly statements, available for up to 24 months,
- view your Comerica Debit card transactions, and account history going up to 6 months behind,
- set up one-time or recurring or future-dated transfers between your Comerica checking and savings accounts OR between your Comerica and your accounts at other U.S. financial institutions,
- manage all things checks (view, print, request stop payments),
- pay bills,
- use tools, such as Zelle or Quicken®.
Quicken® is a financial management software allowing you to download your Comerica account history, and access your account as you please.
With Quicken®, you'll be able to view your balance, review activity, transfer funds, pay bills, and set up automatic bill payment, create budget, track spending, and more.
No, Quicken® Banking with Comerica is provided for a monthly fee of $3.95 or $9.95 if you want to use Quicken® Banking with Comerica with Bill Pay.