The Bank of the West Premier Checking Account is designed for those looking for an all-inclusive checking account offer with many fee perks, fee waivers, and exclusive benefits.
With this checking account, will you receive a complimentary Premier Mastercard debit card you can use worldwide to withdraw funds with no Bank of the West fees, all the while enjoying identity and fraud protection benefits, as well as higher transaction limits. Plus, if you're interested (and approved), you can also get a Cash Back World Mastercard credit card, and earn up to 3% cash-back rewards on your eligible purchases! Thanks to Bank of the West's Online and Mobile Banking, you'll be able to manage all your Bank of the West accounts and cards whenever you are, whether it be from the comfort of your home or while on the go.
You can use Bank of the West Online Banking to bay bills, schedule transactions, transfer funds, check monthly statements, categorize transactions to track spending, view checks, find transactions, set up account and card alerts, and more! Additionally, in Mobile Banking, you'll be able to access your account using face and fingertip sign-in, as well as Mobile PIN, for an extra layer of protection. Mobile Banking also lets you make mobile check deposits, use Scan-to-Pay and Bill Pay for fast and secure bill payments, and access your account balance and up to 5 last transactions with Quick Balance.
Thanks to custom account and card alerts, you'll be able to monitor your balance 24/7 to avoid overdrafts, identity theft, and financial fraud. There are many account alerts you can set up, including:
1. Balance alerts, to notify you when:
- your balance is too low, so you can avoid overdrafts, and transfer funds to your checking account;
- you have excess funds, so you can eventually transfer them to your savings account or a CD, if you have any.
2. Payment Notification alerts, to notify you when:
- a non-recurring payment was made from your Premier Checking account.
3. Transfer Notification alerts, to notify you when:
- a non-recurring transfer was made from your Premier Checking account.
4. Payment Reminder alerts, to notify you when:
- a payment is due to be processed within 7 days.
The Bank of the West Premier Checking is particularly awesome because you'll receive fee waivers on many banking products and services others usually have to pay for. These include free checks, free money orders, free monthly statements, safe deposit box discounts, overdraft protection transfer fee waivers, and more. Besides, if you're planning to buy a car or home, or do whatever else that requires a lot of money, you should know you can get a loan with Bank of the West, and receive interest rate discounts.
Those looking to grow their money by investing in online equity and EFT should know they can do so for free with a BancWest Investment Services brokerage account, while enjoying the exclusive service and advice provided by the Bank of the West investment experts, and the Premier Dedicated Customer Service agents.
Overall, the Bank of the West Premier Checking account is quite a good deal, even if you don't meet the monthly waiver fee requirement, since there are so many things you get free of charge, making the monthly fee quite worth it - assuming, of course, you will actually take advantage of most of the free perks, and services included in this checking account offer.
Checking account details
- Monthly fee can be waived if you keep a minimum combined average monthly balance of $25,000.
- Free Premier Mastercard debit card with no ATM withdrawal fees at any bank, worldwide, higher transaction dollar limits, secure chip technology, and fraud protection.
- Free Cash Back World Mastercard® credit card with up to 3% Cash Back.
- Online and Mobile Banking with Mobile Banking App, and Bill Pay.
- Free access to Bank of the West ATMs.
- Free ATM transactions worldwide.
- Free checks, money orders, paper statements, and incoming wire transfers.
- Overdraft Coverage Options with fee waivers.
- Safe Deposit Box fee waivers.
- Relationship-based service and bonus interest rates on select deposit accounts.
- Interest rate discounts on consumer loans.
- Unlimited $0 online equity and ETF trades in your BancWest Investment Services brokerage account.
- Annual financial check-up for your mortgages, retirement and investment accounts.
- Award-winning customer service in-branch, online or by phone via the Premier Dedicated Customer Service line.
Checking account fees
Monthly Fee$25 (can be waived)
Minimum Deposit to Openany amount
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$0
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$0
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$35
Foreign Transaction Fee1% + 2%
Bank of the West Premier Checking Account FAQ
A combined monthly balance is an average monthly balance you keep across one or more bank accounts with the same institution.
In the case of the Bank of the West Premier Checking account, a combined average monthly balance to have the $25 monthly fee waived, should be at least $25,000.
To have the $25 monthly fee on the Bank of the West Premier Checking account waived, you should keep $25,000 or more each month in your Bank of the West Premier Checking and any other eligible Bank of the West bank account(s). The eligible accounts include personal Bank of the West checking, money market, savings, CDs, and IRAs. Also eligible are BancWest Investment Services investment accounts.
Using your complimentary Cash Back World Mastercard credit card for your daily purchases, you can earn up to 3% cash back. Cashback rewards are based on net purchases (purchases minus credit, returns, and adjustments).
You'll earn 1% cash back for every $1 spent using your Bank of the West Cash Back World Mastercard credit card. You'll earn an additional 2%, totaling 3% cash back, on eligible purchases, including groceries, dining, and gas. The gas category, though, i.e. purchases made at service stations and automated fuel dispensers, is limited in that you'll earn 3% cash back on the first $1,500 spent on gas each calendar quarter (3 months), after which you'll go back to earning 1% again.
In addition to cashback rewards, the Bank of the West Cash Back World Mastercard credit card comes with a range of Bank of the West and Cash Back World benefits, including:
- 0% APR for 12 months on Purchases, then 15.99% - 22.99% variable APR,
- Concierge and travel services,
- 24/7 fraud monitoring,
- Identity theft resolution,
- Zero liability for unauthorized transactions,
- Emergency card replacement,
- 24/7 Online Card Management.
You can redeem your cashback rewards whenever you want, in $25 increments for a statement credit or direct deposit to any checking or savings account you may have with Bank of the West (probably the Premier one in this case). You can submit your request at the Bank of the West website. If you want to request a statement credit, you can also contact the Bank of the West Rewards Department at 866-791-4106 (or TTY 800-659-5495)
To be able to redeem your cashback rewards, your account must be in good standing. Your rewards won't expire if your account is in good standing as well.
Bank of the West offers different overdraft protection options. You can choose to have a savings, money market or Gold Line account linked to your Premier Checking account for overdraft protection.
1. Gold Line Account
- The Gold Line account is a line of credit that you can use to link to your Premier Checking for overdraft protection. Transactions covered include checks, ATM withdrawals, ACH and automatic electronic payments, everyday debit card purchases, recurring debit card transactions, and other checking account transactions. Even though there's a loan transfer fee that applies for each transfer ($12), including a 19.9% APR on loan advances, and a $24 annual fee, discounts and/or annual fee waivers might be available for Premier Checking account customers. Credit check is required for the Gold Line Account.
2. Savings Overdraft Protection
- If you have a Bank of the West savings account or money market account, you can link it to your Premier Checking. Transactions covered include checks, recurring debit card transactions, ACH, and automatic electronic payments presented at the end of each banking day. Bank of the West Premier Checking account customers benefit from overdraft transfer fee waivers with this overdraft protection plan.
As a Bank of the West Premier Checking customer, you won't pay any annual fees if you rent the smallest safe deposit box. If, however, you wish to rent a bigger safe deposit box, you'll receive a $40 discount. There's aren't any safe deposit box set-up fees for Premier Checking account customers.
As a Bank of the West Premier Checking Account customer, you will have free access to all Bank of the West ATMs. Additionally, you will also never be charged any Bank of the West fees when using out-of-network ATMs for balance inquiries, money transfers, and withdrawals. In case you withdraw funds from a non-Bank of the West ATM, and the owner charges you a fee, Bank of the West will refund you the amount within 1 business day. Do note that other fees, such as foreign transaction fees, may still apply, and these aren't refunded.
When you open a Bank of the West Premier Checking account, you'll receive a complimentary Mastercard debit card you can use anywhere Mastercard is accepted. As a Premier Checking customer, you'll enjoy higher dollar limits, and free ATM withdrawals worldwide.
The Bank of the West Mastercard debit card comes with a range of benefits thanks to which you'll be able to shop safely, including:
- Mastercard Zero Liability Policy: protects you against unauthorized transactions, provided that you can prove you've done your best to prevent debit card loss or theft, and that you report the loss or theft of your Mastercard debit card to Bank of the West as soon as it happens.
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection: if you believe you've been a victim of identity theft, contact 1-800-Mastercard. The Mastercard ID Theft Protection services also include Online Monitoring Dashboard (requires activation), Monthly Risk Alert / Newsletter, Identity Monitoring, Resolution Services, Lost Wallet Assistance, Single Bureau Credit Monitoring, Financial Account Takeover, and URL and Domain Monitoring.
- Extended Warranty.
- Satisfaction Guarantee.
As a Premier Checking account customer, you can receive interest rate loan discounts on eligible consumer loans and lines of credit. However, the precise information is not available, and to learn more about eligible products and current rates, you'll need to contact Bank of the West Convenience Banking Team (844) 2GO-WEST, Option 4 or see your local branch banker.
|Bank||Monthly Service Charge||Minimum Deposit to Open||APY|
|Bank of the West Any Deposit Checking Account||$10 (can be waived)||any amount||0.00%|
|Bank of the West 1% for the Planet Checking Account||$10 (can be waived)||any amount||0.00%|
|Bank of the West Premier Checking Account||$25 (can be waived)||any amount||0.01%|