BMO Harris Premier™ Checking Account
BMO Harris Bank's interest-bearing checking account is great if you:
- can meet the monthly fee waived requirements,
- enjoy using digital banking tools,
- use ATMs a lot.
securely on the bank's website
The BMO Harris Premier Checking Account is a checking account designed for those who'd like to earn interest on their balance, while enjoying additional free perks than what BMO Harris Bank usually includes in its checking account offers.
Since this is a tiered-rate checking account, it means you'll earn interest based on how much you keep in your balance. Basically, the more money you maintain in your account, the more you earn. That said, currently, the rates applied are lower only for balances below $4,999.99. For balances above that amount, regardless of whether you have $5,000 or $50,000, the same rates apply.
As we've mentioned, the BMO Harris Premier Checking account is packed with all the usual digital banking tools, enabling you to bank on the go, using nothing but your mobile device; or, of course, from the comfort of your home, without having to visit a physical branch. In case you need any help, their customer service is available to assist you, but you can also take advantage of plenty of online resources BMO Harris has on its website, including financial education materials, blog articles, how-to videos, and FAQ.
With plenty of fee-free perks, including the BMO Harris Digital Banking app with app controls, account alerts, and Mobile Cash, but also free access to a large ATM network, accessing and managing your funds will be easy, quick, and convenient.
Features included in, and particular to the BMO Harris Premier are free paper statements and check images (unlike with other BMO Harris checking account offers, where only electronic statements are free, and check image fees waived if you go paperless); unlimited non-BMO Harris ATM transactions, and up to $25/month in surcharge fee waivers when using other banks' or financial institutions' ATMs. Free cashier's checks and money orders are also part of this offer.
If you can meet the monthly fee waiver requirements, and there are several ways to do that, you should definitely consider opening a BMO Harris Premier Account. Especially if you enjoy using a variety of digital tools to manage your finances - it doesn't only gives you the freedom and flexibility to bank whenever you please, but it's also fun!
On the other side, if you're looking for a checking account with a Visa debit card or with no foreign transaction fees, or a checking account with better rates, then we suggest shopping around some more, to find exactly what you need.
Checking account details
- Monthly fee can be waived if you keep a $10,000 minimum daily balance, OR $25,000 in combined balances with Relationship Waiver, OR a BMO Harris Financial Advisors, Inc. investment account.*
- Tiered interest rates.
- BMO Harris Bank Debit Mastercard®, with Debit Card Controls, and Card Alerts.
- Free BMO Digital Banking.
- Free BMO Digital Banking app, with BMO Harris Mobile Cash®, and Zelle®.
- Free electronic and paper monthly statements.
- Free check images.
- Free withdrawals and deposits at BMO Harris ATMs or branches.
- Free access to over 40,000 BMO Harris and Allpoint® ATMs nationwide.
- Unlimited non-BMO Harris ATM transactions.
- Up to $25 per statement period in rebates on ATM surcharge fees charged by other banks.
- Free cashier's checks and money orders.
- Free transactions at retailers made using your BMO Harris Bank Debit Mastercard®.
- Free incoming wire transfers.
- BMO Harris Total Look®.
- BMO Harris Bank by Phone®.
- BMO Harris Bill Pay®.
- Overdraft Services available with certain fees waived.
- Mortgage and home equity line of credit discounts.
- Personalized assistance through chat, callback, and at over 600 branches.
Checking account fees
Monthly Fee$25 (can be waived)
APY0.01% / 0.05%
Minimum Deposit to Open$25
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$0
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$0
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$36
Foreign Transaction Fee2.8%
BMO Harris Premier™ Checking Account FAQ
You'll be asked to provide your personal information, including:
- Your name, phone, address, email,
- Your date of birth and Social Security Number,
- Your employment status.
You can have the $25 monthly fee waived on the BMO Harris Premier Checking if:
- You keep at least $10,000 in your daily balance during a statement period,
- You you keep at least $25,000 in combined daily balances during a statement period, and have requested a Relationship Waiver,
- You own a BMO Harris Financial Advisors, Inc. invest account,
- You're a client of BMO Harris Bank's employee benefits program, Best of BMO U.S.
BMO Harris Bank's Relationship Waiver is a feature enabling you to have the monthly fee waived on the BMO Harris Premier Checking Account if you link any other personal checking or savings account, CD or IRA you own to it. You can also link any business checking, savings or CD of which you're the sole owner or partner.
Linking your accounts allows you to combine balances, and it's much easier to meet the monthly fee waiver requirements this way.
It is important to note that BMO Harris Bank won't automatically link your accounts. You need to request it instead.
Tiered rates are variable rates, where both interest and APYs can vary based on the amount of money you keep in your Premier Checking balance.
Currently, BMO Harries applies an interest rate of 0.010, and and APY of 0.01% to balances ranging between $0.01 to
$4,999.99, while an interest rate of 0.050, and an APY of 0.05% applies to all balances of $50,000+.
While BMO Harris Bank won't charge you any paper statements fees or check images fees, you should definitely go paperless and avoid having unnecessary piles of paper around the house. It's also eco-friendly.
You can turn off paper statements using BMO Harris Bank's Digital Banking app. Once you've logged in to your Premier account, you should click "More" (the hamburger icon), find Statements, and turn them off. You can also go to Preferences -> Account preferences -> Paperless statements. Choose to go paperless, confirm, and there you go!
BMO Harris Bank's Mobile Cash is a free and safe service allowing you to withdraw cash from a number of BMO Harris ATM terminals using your Android or iPhone mobile device. To do this, you need to have an ATM or debit card linked to your Smart Money Checking Account, which is done automatically once you've enrolled in Mobile Banking.
This feature is available at most BMO Harris ATMs, but some off-site locations, such as Speedway or Walgreens, don't offer it.
You will find your account number when you log in to BMO Harris Digital Banking, and then click on "My accounts". Once you've selected your account, you'll see the information in a blue box.
BMO Harris Total Look is BMO Harris Bank's service allowing you to manage your BMO Harris accounts, as well as any other bank account(s) you have online, such as your checking accounts, savings accounts, online investments, credit cards, mortgages, loans or something else - regardless of whether you keep them with BMO Harris Bank or some other bank or financial institution.
You can use this free, but safe tool to view your account balances and history, personalize a budget, set financial goals, and track progress - all put together in one place!
The service is available when you log in to BMO Digital Banking, and select "Total Look", and then "Get Started".
The routing number for all BMO Harris personal bank accounts is 071025661.