Simple's Free Online Checking Account is an almost 100% fee-free checking account with outstanding digital banking tools and features, allowing you to manage your money on the go, while enjoying free access to 40,000 Allpoint® ATMs, FDIC insurance (thanks to BBVA USA), and live customer support.
With Free Online Checking, you'll be able to bank as usual, only using your smartphone device. The only flaw to this free checking account is that it doesn't offer bill pay. However, you can pay your bills easily by setting up payments using your card number, checking and routing number or by check. You can transfer funds from one account to another instantly, use checks, and make payments via third-party payment services. Plus, you'll be able to set savings goals, and even earn interest on them. And, since there's a Visa debit card, you'll be able to use it wherever Visa is accepted + enjoy Zero Liability protection, which protects you against unauthorized purchases.
So, if you feel comfortable enough to do business with an online-only bank, and aren't concerned much about having to find an alternative way to manage household bills, there's really no reason why you should not open the Simple Free Online Checking Account. It has no fees, no limits, no requirements. Only great banking tools, customer support, and flexibility.
Checking account details
- A Simple Visa® Debit card.
- Checks and Mobile Check Deposits.
- Digital Wallet with Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Apple Pay.
- External account linking.
- Simple Instant funds transfer.
- Third-party payment services like Square, Venmo, Mint, and PayPal.
- Simple budgeting features.
- Online Customer Support.
Checking account fees
APY0.01% / 1.10%
Minimum Deposit to Open$0
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$0
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$0
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$0
Foreign Transaction Fee0%*
Simple Online Checking Account FAQ
You'll need to provide:
- Your contact information (first and last name, address, phone number, and email address),
- Your date of birth,
- Your social security number,
- And a username and password.
Once that's been submitted, Simple will verify your identity - someone from the bank will get in touch with you. This is done to ensure there's no identity theft.
If all is fine, you'll receive a debit card, which you'll need to active. From there, you'll be able to fund your account, set up direct deposits, etc.
Almost! While Simple won't charge you any:
- monthly maintenance fees,
- overdraft and NSF fees,
- ATM and international transaction fees,
- stop payment fees,
- deposit fees,
- debit card replacement fees, and
- online, mobile, and telephone banking fees,
there's a $5 fee when you order personalized checks.
Also, when you use your VISA abroad, VISA will charge you a 1% International Service Fee on international transactions.
You might also be charged other banks' and ATM owners' fees when you use out-of-network ATMs.
As a Simple Free Online Checking customer, you'll earn 0.01% on your daily balance. However, if you set Protected Goals, you'll earn the 1.10% APY on your daily balance.
While you have free access to over 40,000 ATMs, and Simple won't charge you any fees when using out-of-network ATMs, other banks and ATM owners might charge you a fee. However, Simple won't refund you those fees.
You can link up to 5 external accounts, and transfer funds to and from them instantly and free of charge.
The important thing to note is that you must be the owner of the accounts you'd like to link.
Simple Instant lets you transfer funds from one Simple account to another in a matter of seconds, at no additional cost, and without having to wait for transfer processing.
You can add another Simple customer to your Instant contacts using their email address and phone number. Once they've confirmed the connection, you'll be able to send and receive money to and from each other.
Simple offers several budgeting tools that help you better manage your expenses, and set savings plans:
- Expenses: a bill tracker, only requiring you to enter your monthly bills and living expenses, and the tool will automatically set aside money for you, giving you a peace of mind, and the freedom to spend knowing your most important expenses are covered.
- Safe-to-Spend®: a smart built-in budgeting tool that does the math for you by subtracting recurring bills and financial goals from your available balance, so you know how much you've left to spend on whatever your heart desires.
- Goals: the feature that allows you to set and reach financial goals, such as buying a bike or saving for a trip. Simply name the goal, choose the amount you'd like to save, and how often you'd like to put money aside, and the date by which you'd like to have the goal reached. That's all.
You have several options to deposit funds to your Simple Online Checking: you can make direct deposits, account-to-account electronic fund transfers, or check deposits using the Simple mobile app. Simple also accepts deposits by snail mail.
You can use Simple's ATM Finder to locate ATMs in your area.
You can reach Simple Customer Support by calling them at 888-248-0632. Their phone lines are open from 6 am to 4 pm PT (9 am to 7 pm ET) on business days, and from 7 am to 2 pm PT (10 am to 5 pm ET) on Saturdays. If you're abroad, dial +1 (424) 652-5294.