Connexus Credit Union Xtraordinary Checking Account
Choose Xtraordinary if you'd like to:
- earn up to 1.75% APY,
- avoid ATM fees,
- enjoy outstanding customer service.
securely on the bank's website
Assuming you'd join Connexus, or already are its member looking to open a checking account, then you should definitely consider the Xtraordinary.
Promising up to 24x bigger earnings when compared with the national average, the Xtraordinary checking account is quite a tempting option. You could earn up to 1.75% APY on your balance, which is certainly not something other banks offer. That said, there's a number of conditions you need to meet to earn dividends, but, on the brighter side, there aren't any minimum balance requirements to start earning! Neither there are any Connexus ATM fees, incoming wire transfer fees or monthly statement fees! With all other fees quite lower than the average (for example, overdraft fees set at $29.95, and foreign transaction fees at 1.5% per transaction), you'll not only earn interest on your balance, but also save a few extra dollars on bank services!
Plus, Xtraordinary comes with a great digital banking app, allowing you to manage your checking account 24/7. The app's rich features give you the convenience and flexibility you need to bank while on the go or from the comfort of your home. There are so many things you can do using Connexus Digital Banking, from tracking your monthly spending, and setting savings goals, to making person-to-person payments, setting up instant notifications, and more!
You can also use Connexus Telephone Banking for some basic tasks. In case you want to quickly check your account balance or transfer funds between your Connexus accounts, you can simply dial (800) 438-2747 or (715) 847-4701 whenever you want. Connexus Assist, your virtual financial assistant, is also available through text message or Amazon Alexa. The assistant can answer many of your account-related questions, but also perform some tasks. You can check your balance, pay off your loan, find an ATM, and even learn about finances, money management, and Connexus thanks to the help of their virtual assistant!
To summarize, the Connexus Xtraordinary Checking is not only rewarding because it lets you earn interest, and save money on those fees, but it is really a great way to manage your budget, as it's packed with perks and features that make banking so simple and convenient. If you're eligible to become a Connexus Credit Union member or if you decide to join the Connexus Association by making a $5 donation, you'll be able to open a Connexus Xtraordinary Checking Account, and enjoy banking with a community-focused credit union!
Checking account details
- Free Visa™ Debit Card.
- Free digital banking tools, with Mobile Deposit and Bill Pay.
- Telephone Banking.
- Surcharge-free access to 54,000+ ATMs in the CO-OPSM and MoneyPass® ATM networks.
- No Connexus fees for out-of-network ATM usage, with up to $25 U.S.-based ATM provider surcharges reimbursed each month.
- Free statements.
- Free overdraft transfers with linked accounts.
- Connexus Assist, Connexus Virtual Financial Assistant.
Checking account fees
APY1% - 1.75%
Minimum Deposit to Open$0
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$0
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$0
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$29.95
Foreign Transaction Fee1.5%
Connexus Credit Union Xtraordinary Checking Account FAQ
With the Connexus Xtraordinary Checking, you can earn up to 1.75% APY on your balance, but you need to subscribe to eStatements, and make 15+ debit card purchases or spend $400 in net purchases using your Connexus Visa debit card, excluding ATM transactions.
While there aren't any minimum balance requirements to earn interest, the rates vary based on the amount of money you keep in your balance. If this amount is $25,000 or less, a dividend rate of 1.738% will be paid on your account balance; resulting in an APY of 1.75% for the dividend period, but on anything above $25,000, you'll earn 0.25%.
If you don't meet the minimum monthly balance requirements for your Xtraordinary Checking, you won't earn any interest on your balance during that month. You also won't receive the $25 ATM rebates (we don't know what that's got to do with the money in your balance, but those are the rules!).
On the brighter side, you won't be charged any fees for not meeting the requirements!
Yes, there are several overdraft protection options, including:
- The possibility to link your savings and checking accounts, so, if you go overdraft, the money will be automatically transferred from your savings to your checking to cover the balance. This service is free. You can link your Connexus savings and checking accounts by calling Connexus at 800.845.5025.
- Overdraft Line of Credit, the credit limit ranging between $300 and $1,000, with an interest rate of 18% APR. You can apply either online or by calling Connexus at 800.845.5025.
- Privilege Pay Overdraft Service, which is automatically added to your Xtraordinary Checking account. Privilege Pay covers your check, ACH, and Bill Pay transactions in case of an overdraft, but, still, you may be charged a $29.95 fee. Debit card, and ARM transactions aren't covered per default, but you can add these transactions by calling Connexus at 800.845.5025.
Connexus Telephone Banking is a free service you can use to access your Xtraordinary Checking account whenever you need. With Connexus Telephone Banking, you can check your balance, and transfer funds between your Connexus accounts. All you need to do is:
- Call (800) 438-2747 or (715) 847-4701.
- Enter your member number.
- Enter your access code.
- Select the transaction or information you want after listening to, and following the menu prompts.
- Your member number is in the welcome letter you received in the mail when you opened your account with Connexus. You can also get your member number by calling 800.845.5025.
- Your access code is the last 4 digits of the primary account owner's Social Security Number. The code can be changed, call 800.845.5025.
- You can get in touch with a Member Contact Center representative during business hours by typing 0.
With Connexus Virtual Financial Assistant, you can get answers to many questions related to your Xtraordinary checking account or banking with Connexus in general. You can also request from your Virtual Assistant to do some banking tasks for you. Here are some things you can ask Connexus Assist:
- to check balances in your Connexus accounts,
- to view recent transactions,
- to check loan payment due dates,
- to check loan interest rates,
- to get a summary of your finances,
- to transfer your money,
- to pay your loan,
- to find you the nearest branch or ATM,
- to tell you the branch hours,
- to tell you your routing number,
- to tell you how to reset your voice passcode,
- to give you loan repayment options,
- to inform you of the current interest rates,
- to learn more about Connexus, and how to become a member,
- to learn about FICO score, direct deposits, and other personal finance-related things.
You can access Connexus Assist through text message, by connecting your device, or through Amazon Alexa, by linking your digital banking in Skill Settings, and setting up your voice passcode. Use the "Alexa, open Connexus" command.
Connexus Assist might soon become available with Google Assistant, too.
Connexus' Online and Mobile Banking features allow you to access, manage, and monitor your Xtraordinary and any other accounts you may have with Connexus 24/7, at your convenience.
Through Connexus' digital banking platform, as well as the Connexus Mobile Banking app, you can log in to your account easily, and use the following services free of charge:
- Bill Pay,
- Mobile Deposit,
- Mobile Wallet,
- External Transfers,
- Person-to-Person Connexus Debit Card Money Transfers,
- Quick Login,
- eDocs, with statements, tax forms, and account notices,
- Account Notifications,
- Savings Goals,
- Spending Activity Tool,
- Virtual Financial Assistant.
There's also "Snapshot", a feature available only for Apple® and Android™ smartphones and wearable devices, but not laptops or tablets. Snapshot lets you view balances without logging in.
Spending Activity Tool is a tool available as part of Connexus' Digital Banking, and accessible from your PC, laptop, smartphone or tablet device, that shows you a breakdown of your monthly spending.
With Spending Activity, your transactions are categorized automatically, so you can have an overview of your spending activities, which helps you get a better insight into your spending habits, and make further financial plans and decisions. It's particularly useful if you need to see where you could or should cut down spending or if there's a particular category you're spending too much in, so that you could better distribute your income.
The Spending Activity Tool can be used to monitor all your Connexus accounts, but you can also select to view them separately. The tool will only display the category spending for the current month, with a comparison against the previous one. You won't be able to view transaction history going beyond two months, though.
Yes, there's a Savings Goals feature available in Digital Banking that lets you do just that - plan for your future expenses, and financial goals!
You can set up a savings goal by:
- Logging in to your Digital Banking account, and selecting "Savings Goals" from the menu.
- Choosing the account you'd like to set the goal for, and clicking "New Goal".
- Entering the required information, and clicking "Save Goal".
You can edit your goal while it's active, in case you want to modify the amount to save or whatever. You can also track progress of your savings within the very tool, but you can also set up account alerts to receive push notifications when you reach your goal or if you're falling behind.
There are many account notifications you can turn on from your Connexus Digital Banking account if you'd like to receive alerts and flags related to your account, activity, and budget. Currently, you can receive:
- Balance Summary Alerts: sent either daily or weekly.
- Balance Alerts: to know whether your balance falls behind a certain threshold,
- Budget Category Exceeded Alerts: if using the Digital Banking Budget tool, these alerts will notify you if you spend too much in a certain category,
- Budget Exceeded Alerts: if using the Digital Banking Budget tool, you'll know when you exceed the total budgeted for spending for that month,
- Check Cleared Alerts: alert criteria can be per check number and/or amounts, so you know when an outgoing check has been cleared.
- Debit Card Purchase Alerts: if you make purchase of a selected amount using your Connexus debit card,
- Digital Banking Access Alerts: you'll receive alerts each time you access your Digital Banking account (great for fraud monitoring purposes),
- Goal Completed Alerts: sent to celebrate each time you achieve your Savings Goal,
- Goal Endangered Alert: sent when you're approaching a Savings Goal deadline, but haven't really approached the desired savings amount.
- Insufficient Funds Alerts: in case you don't have enough money in your Connexus account(s),
- Loan Payment Due Alerts: you can enter the number of days before and/or after a loan payment due date, so that you don't forget to pay off your loan,
- Logout Alert: so you know when your Digital Banking session expired,
- Share Certificate Maturity Alerts: you can select the number of days before maturity that you’d like to receive a notification,
- Transaction Alerts: you'll receive alerts when a transaction of a certain amount occurs, whether incoming or outgoing,
- Transfer Fails Alerts: in case of an unsuccessful transaction, you'll instantly receive an alert,
- Transfer Succeeds Alerts: in case of a successful transaction, you'll instantly receive a notification.
Connexus' routing number is 275982296.
|Bank||Monthly Service Charge||Minimum Deposit to Open||APY|
|Connexus Credit Union Xtraordinary Checking Account||$0||$0||1% - 1.75%|
|Connexus Credit Union Innovative Checking Account||$0||$0||0.00%|
|Connexus Credit Union Teen Checking Account||$0||$0||2.00%|