Regions Bank LifeGreen Preferred Checking® Account
This checking account is for you if you want to:
- earn interest, and cash back,
- open a CD or a money market account with Regions,
- receive more free perks.
securely on the bank's website
Featuring standard Regions Banks benefits, such as free online and mobile banking, a free Visa CheckCard with cashback, and free access to over 1,900 ATMs across 15 U.S. States, the Regions LifeGreen Preferred Checking Account seems no different than any other Regions LifeGreen checking account.
However, there are several additional perks included in this checking account offer that make it slightly more attractive than the rest. The Regions LifeGreen Preferred Checking comes with:
- A 0.01% APY.
- 2 monthly Regions fee for out-of-network ATM usage reimbursed.
- Free cashier's checks and money orders.
- A 50% discount on 1 safe deposit box.
- Free optional Regions Money Market Account.
Add to this Regions Bank's Cashback Rewards program, allowing you to earn cash back when using your Visa CheckCard for eligible purchases, as well as plenty of digital banking tools, including a mobile app with the option to manage how your card is used, and personal finance educational resources to help you make smarter money decisions, and better organize your spending, an award-winning customer service, and special rates for other Regions Bank's financial products, and you've got a fairly good checking account deal that's rewarding in more ways than one.
With a $18 monthly fee that can be waived in several ways, and a fine APY, the Regions LifeGreen Preferred is quite competitive when it comes to other similar checking account offers, as well.
That said, Regions Bank's ATM network is quite small, and if you prefer using cash, you might not always be able to find a Regions ATM nearby. Even though you'll be refunded in case you're charged a surcharge fee when using an out-of-network ATM 2 times per month, paying anything more to access your own funds seems quite silly.
Besides, if you plan on traveling internationally, the ATM fee is not $3, but $5 + any additional fees ATM owners might charge you. Also, there are always those foreign transaction fees, making your Visa CheckCard quite pricey to use abroad.
On the bright side, if the two mentioned flaws don't bother you, and you live in an area where Regions Bank's established alright, there aren't any particular reasons not to consider the Regions LifeGreen Preferred Account. Yet, we always recommend shopping around, because, just maybe, you can find a better deal.
Checking account details
- Monthly fee can be waived if you keep a $5,000 average monthly statement balance in your LifeGreen Preferred Checking account OR $25,000 combined minimum deposit balances from all of your Regions checking, savings, money markets, CDs and IRAs OR have certain qualifying first-lien home mortgage loans in good standing OR have combined $25,000 minimum outstanding loan balances from all of your Regions personal installment loans, lines of credit, equity lines of credit, equity loans, direct loans and credit cards in good standing.
- Regions Visa CheckCard with the Regions Cashback Rewards® program.
- Free Online and Mobile Banking with Bill Pay, multiple payment options, such as Click to Pay with Visa, and Regions LockIt®.
- Free paper statements without check images.
- Free printed check images with paper statements.
- Free access to more than 1,900 ATMs.
- No Regions ATM fee on 2 ATM transactions at non-Regions ATMs per statement period.
- Unlimited check writing.
- Free cashier's checks.
- Free money orders.
- 50% discount on one Safe Deposit Box with an additional 10% discount for auto debit.
- Relationship rates on most CDs for customers who meet the Relationship requirements.
- Discount on qualifying installment loans with payments auto debited from a Regions account.
- Insights by Regions.
- Service Member Benefits.
- Optional Regions Premium Money Market Account.
- Optional Overdraft Protection.
- Award-winning customer service.
Checking account fees
Monthly Fee$18 (can be waived)
Minimum Deposit to Open$50
Out-of-Network ATM Transaction Fee$3
Out-of-Network ATM Withdrawal Fee$3
Non-Sufficient Funds Fee$36
Foreign Transaction Fee3%
Regions Bank LifeGreen Preferred Checking® Account FAQ
If you'd like to apply for a Regions LifeGreen Preferred Checking online, you'll need to provide your:
- Social Security number,
- Date of birth,
- Email address,
- Personal identification (driver's license or state-issued ID),
- Credit/debit card or Regions checking/savings account or checking/savings account from another bank (for the opening deposit).
Also, if you'd like to open a joint account, you'll need to provide the same information for the co-owner.
Regions Bank's U.S. military service customers can access an out-of-network ATM 2 times per month without incurring a Regions Bank surcharge fee, if they show their military ID at the time of account opening or later.
However, this is not that interesting, given that this benefit is already included in this checking account offer. Check with your Regions banker whether the offer is cumulative, i.e. whether this means you'll get 4 Regions out-of-network ATM usage fees reimbursed.
Your Personal CheckCard Visa works just like any other debit card. It is tied to your Regions LifeGreen Preferred Checking, and secured by the funds available in your account balance. Your Personal CheckCard Visa can be used for both debit and credit payments, anywhere Visa is accepted.
To start using your Regions Visa, you need to activate it first, by:
- calling 1-800-295-8472 and following the prompts,
- logging in to Online Banking,
- visiting an ATM.
Remember that, every time you use your Personal CheckCard Visa for eligible purchases, you'll earn cash back rewards!
As soon as you open a Regions LifeGreen Preferred Checking Account, you'll get access to your account through Online or Mobile Banking. When you log in, you'll be able to view and activate offers. Then, simply use your Visa CheckCard to pay for those purchases (make sure to read terms and conditions of each offer), and you'll earn rewards They will appear in your checking account within up to 90 days of redemption.
Regions LockIt® helps you control your Regions personal credit cards, CheckCards, and prepaid Now Card by enabling you to decide how, where, and when you use your Regions cards. It protects you against unauthorized charges with the option to lock any transactions you want to block (or unblock) using your Regions mobile app. This feature is great if, for example, you lose your card, since you can block it and prevent its usage with a touch of a button. Also, you can also lock the controls for transactions you want to keep an eye on, so you know when and how your card is being used.
There are 4 card control types available:
1. All Transactions
If you lock this control, your card can't be used for:
- All purchases (online, in-store, and other),
- Call Center transfers,
- ATM cash withdrawals,
- ATM transfers to deposit accounts,
- Non-recurring transactions,
- Credit card cash advances from an ATM, Regions branch or another Visa bank.
2. In-store Purchases
3. Online Purchases
When you lock the Online Purchases control, your card can't be used for purchases online, by mail order or by phone.
4. ATM Transactions
When you lock the ATM Transactions control, your card can't be used for cash withdrawals, transfers to deposit accounts or credit card cash advances at ATMs.
You'll be able to monitor blocked transactions on the app or through Online Banking, and also set up LockIt Alerts for an even greater peace of mind.
Click to Pay with Visa is a fast, easy, and secure way to make online purchases at various participating merchants, without your having to enter your account and card numbers, passwords or delivery information. Click to Pay with Visa online checkout is available in more than half a million online stores in the United States, and in many other countries around the world.
To get started, all you need to do is add your Regions card (debit, credit or Now card), and shop. Once ready to pay, you'll find a Visa Click to Pay icon at checkout, and be asked to select the Regions card you'd like to use. To complete your purchase, you'll only need to enter your user ID, and that's it.
You can sign up directly on the Visa website, where you'll be able to learn more about Visa Click to Pay.
The Regions Premium Money Market Account is a bank account that pays interest that's usually better than on a savings account. The Regions Premium Money Market requires a $100 minimum deposit to open, but has no monthly fees if you also open a Regions LifeGreen Preferred Checking. Otherwise, you'd pay $15/month. We couldn't find any interest-related information online, only that there are interest tiers, meaning you'd earn a certain interest rate based on the amount you keep in your balance. You can learn more directly on the Regions Bank Premium Money Market Account website page, where you'll also find contact information in case you want to talk with a Regions banker.
Regions offers you plenty of online resources you can access free of charge! You can learn how to manage your budget, debt, savings, taxes, and more, thanks to Insights by Regions. In addition to educational materials provided, there's a bunch of calculators you can use to help you make better money decisions.
Depending on the state, Regions Bank's routing numbers vary. They go as follows:
- Alabama: 062000019
- Arkansas: 082000109
- Florida: 063104668
- Georgia: 061101375
- Illinois: 071122661
- Indiana: 074014213
- Iowa: 073900438
- Kentucky: 083901744
- Louisiana: 065403626
- Mississippi: 065305436
- Missouri: 081001387
- North Carolina: 053012029
- South Carolina: 053201814
- Tennessee: 064000017
- Texas: 111900785
- Virginia: 051009296.